COCONUT OIL – who doesn’t love this stuff?!?! There are so MANY benefits to using coconut oil but I never realized the full extent of it’s awesomeness until I started doing some research over the past few years. Recently, my goal has been to implement a more natural, holistic regime when it comes to the way I eat and care for my body as a whole (it’s constantly a work in progress). As I try new things to figure out what works best for ME, coconut oil has proved to be a staple in my home. I typically go for organic & unrefined coconut oil as this seems to be the better route for consumption internally and keep containers of oil in both my kitchen & bathroom.
Below are my top 6 reasons why I LOVE coconut oil and the benefits that I found in using it:
- Cooking Oil – this is pretty much a no-brainer!! It’s a must-have in the kitchen (amongst many other amazing oils outside of olive oil – almond oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, etc). I rarely cook with butter unless it’s Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread and using coconut oil as a substitute yields a good source of healthy fats that doesn’t break down easily when cooking at high temperatures. Plus – it adds a great subtle flavor to your food!
- Diaper “Rash” Ointment – coconut oil has been our saving grace from diaper rashes. We’ve used diaper rash cream on a few occasions but found coconut oil does wonders in diaper rash prevention. After changing Steele’s diapers, we let her skin air out and breathe for a moment then apply a layer of coconut oil everywhere. If you’re consistent with using it and change your kiddies diapers regularly, this usually does the trick. I’ve also learned that coconut oil is great for most type of skin irritations for both children & adults.
- Body Lotion & Moisturizer – In my effort to adopt a more natural skincare regime, I’ve found that coconut oil is a great all-around natural moisturizer as a replacement for lotion. Not only is it great for adult skin but I rub it all over my daughters body after her baths. It also helps soothe dry, itchy skin during pregnancy and can help reduce the occurrence of stretch marks
- Makeup Remover – I never knew how perfect coconut oil would be for removing makeup, especially mascara. I haven’t worn much makeup these days but when I do, rubbing coconut oil over my face, especially around the eyes, before I go to be is an easy solution to removing mascara and makeup as a whole. It’s simple and easy to add to my night time routine – simply apply the coconut oil and rub with your fingers. Once I’m done (at this point you probably will look like a raccoon, with dark circles around your eyes) I typically will just take a cotton face pad or ball and remove the dirt & oil – then with a clean warm face cloth, wipe my face before cleaning with a cleanser.
- Hair Conditioner – I’ve been trying not to put a ton of product in my hair and now, after washing, will apply coconut oil as a conditioner to my damp hair before blowdrying and/or styling. Outside of a detangler every once in awhile, coconut oil is the only thing I’ve put on my daughters hair after a good wash to help stimulate hair growth. Coconut oil also has anti-fungal properties which can help heal dandruff.
- Sunscreen – it’s a naturally low SPF sunscreen so using it when I’m planning to be outside is helpful to avoid burning.
If you don’t currently use coconut oil, give it a try – it’s definitely been a game changer for me & the health benefits are undeniable!